Irwin VFD EMS
Print this page
Establishment of the Organization
The Irwin VFD Ambulance was established in or about 1941 as a service of the Irwin VFD. Although some documentation exists that in earlier years the Irwin VFD did offer first-aid teams, no proof has yet been identified suggesting operation of a formal ambulance service prior to 1941.
From 1941 until 1988 the service was operated free of charge by an all-volunteer force. In 1988 ambulance billing procedures and an ambulance subscription program were instituted. Also in 1988 the department revised its by-laws to create the position of three ambulance officers to manage the service. The ambulance officers are elected annually by the department’s general membership as per the by-laws of the Irwin VFD. The ambulance officers report directly to the Board of Directors of the Irwin VFD. Paid staff was also hired in 1988 to complement the volunteer members.
The Irwin VFD Ambulance Service consists of two ambulances staffed by a combination of paid and volunteer members. The primary emergency service area consists of Irwin Borough, North Irwin Borough and a section of the PA Turnpike. The service covers emergency and medically necessary non-emergency calls. The service is dispatched through Westmoreland 911 and provides mutual aid to the residents of the surrounding communities.
The Irwin VFD Ambulance strives to provide prompt, quality medical care and transportation to our patients. Through education, training and advancing medical technology we shall continually improve emergency medical services for our community.
Every 1st Monday
57 General Company Meeting
Recent Call Volume
Call Volume History
Does your residence have at least 1 smoke detector on each floor?